BALLOONS BLOW, DON’T LET THEM GO!
Balloons Blow is a non-profit organization which informs and educates others on the dangerous effects that balloon releases have on wildlife and the environment. This organization inspires and promotes an eco-conscious lifestyle.
All released balloons, including those falsely marketed as “biodegradable latex”, return to Earth as litter. They kill countless animals and cause dangerous power outages. Balloons are also a waste of Helium, a finite resource. Balloons can travel thousands of miles and pollute the most remote and pristine places.
This content is directly from the organization. For more information, visit www.balloonsblow.org
To take action against releasing balloons, sign the pledge here:
Also, consider alternatives to balloon releases, such as
- Plant in remembrance–
- A great way to honor and remember a loved one or an important issue is to bring more life to our planet. By planting a native tree, flower garden or butterfly garden you are not only giving life to that plant you are also providing shelter, resources, beauty, and clean air to all kinds of wildlife and people. Flowers and trees can also be used at fundraising events as incentives to donate. They could then be planted in a public area or can be taken home by participants to be planted elsewhere as a living memory. Here’s a great place to find trees: www.GiveTreeGifts.com
- Flags, banners, streamers, & dancing inflatables
- Many businesses are realizing the benefits of using reusable eye-catching signage. Colorful streamers, flags, and banners save money and time over balloons, ribbons, and helium. They can be reused again and again! Here are some great companies: www.ribbonstreamers.com, www.custommadeflags.com, www.fortmyersbanners.com
- Tissue Paper Pompoms
- For some color bursts at parties or celebrations tissue paper pompoms are spectacular! These pretty, colorful poof balls can be easily made at home and are reusable. They also make a fun activities for kids! Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to make your own: www.marthastewart.com/265163/pom-poms-and-luminarias-how-to
- Floating flowers
- For a lot of people, the gently upward drifting of balloons gives them a sense of letting go, and at the same time thinking the balloon will eventually reach their loved one. Because remembering a loved one by potentially killing another life isn’t exactly the best feeling, there are many alternatives. Floating flowers or flower petals down a calm stream can give you the same sense of letting go. You will be able to be in nature and feel the energy of your loved one and all the life that surrounds you! Be sure to use native flowers and not to let go an excessive amount.
- Blowing bubbles
- Blowing bubbles is always fun; watching them bounce around towards the sky and twist with the wind. It also requires you to exhale and breathe. This is a great way to release your feelings as well and just let go. Imagine the spectacular sight of a countless number of bubbles floating away into the sky with a piece of every person that had gathered together! Here is a quick homemade recipe.
- Colored lights
- Colored lights catch attentions during parties, holidays, and even for certain issues! It can replace a normal white light year-round at a business or be used temporarily on special days. Here is a great example of how colored lights can be used to bring awareness to an issue.